Dean Mathey in the Map Room at Pretty Brook Farm
In 1952, Dean Mathey created The Bunbury Company as a private, grant-making foundation to further his charitable intentions. With a touch of humor, he named the foundation after Uncle Bunbury in Oscar Wilde’s play, The Importance of Being Ernest. For years when an important project needed funding, and friends came seeking Dean’s support, he would routinely defer the decision until he could make a consultation with his valued advisors at Bunbury.
Since his death in 1972, The Bunbury Company has continued to honor the Mathey legacy through a charitable grants program. In that time, the foundation has awarded more than $75 million to support non-profit organizations making significant impacts on social, environmental, and educational needs across central New Jersey, and most specifically Mercer County.
In 2015, sixty-five years later, The Bunbury Company has started a new chapter as a donor-advised fund of long-time collaborative partner, the Princeton Area Community Foundation. The Bunbury Fund at the Community Foundation will continue The Bunbury Company’s historic work, honoring the philanthropic legacy of its founder, Dean Mathey.
The Bunbury Fund will have two application deadlines for funding in 2016:
Grant Cycle Application Deadline
Spring 2016 February 12, 2016
Fall 2016 August 12, 2016
- The Fund will focus its support on organizations previously funded by The Bunbury Company in 2013, 2014 and/or 2015, with an emphasis on educational programs impacting the underserved. Organizations may only apply once per calendar year.
- The Fund will consider applications for program support as well as general operating support.
- Grants are limited to publically supported nonprofits which are tax-exempt under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Please click here for a complete copy of the Bunbury Fund guidelines.
- Prospective grantees will be able to access the application process beginning December 1, 2015 for the Spring, 2016 deadline. No letter of inquiry is required in connection with your application.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com
To login to your organization, please click here.